Mathematics in Industry Seminar and Internship Panel

The SIAM student chapter is hosting a Mathematics in Industry Seminar on February 11, 2021 from 2 to 3 PM. Immediately afterwards, we hosting an Internship Panel with the MGSA.

Mathematics in Industry Seminar
Speaker: Dr. Hailey Owen
Title: Journey into Industry
Abstract:
How I got to SAS:
I began a year round internship at SAS, in my current department, in April of 2017, my 3rd year in the PhD program. I looked for internships, after completing my qualifying exams, that complimented my history of teaching and love for analytics.
What do I do?
I work in EVAAS at SAS. We use K-12 standardized tests to assess and predict student performance. We use multiple models, usually gain based models and regression based models, to create measures that assist educators and policymakers in making decisions regarding schooling practices.

Internship Panel:
Description :
The NCSU chapters of SIAM and MGSA are very excited to announce our upcoming event, the “Math Internship Presentation and Panel” which will take place Thursday, February 11th at 3:00pm. The goal of this event is to answer questions about math internships coming from those currently in the application process for math internships, as well as those looking to apply in the future. Our panelists have a diverse background in varying different types of internships, including positions at Sandia National Labs and the US Air Force Research Lab. The target audience for this event is both undergraduate and graduate math majors/graduate students interested in applying to a math internship, either now or at any time in the future. You do not need to be a member of SIAM or MGSA to participate.